Wednesday, April 25, 2012

First flight

Oh, well hello there stranger. Long time, no blog. I've been a little (who am i kidding, a lot) behind on everything in life lately. I just mailed thank you notes from Bren's birthday that was 6 weeks ago. I'll probably never get caught up but I can at least try. There's a ton I've been wanting to write about but I guess I'll just take it one post at a time and see where I get.

So, first things first. We finally took Brennan on a plane! I'd been avoiding it as long as possible. But in hindsight I'm not sure why. It actually probably would have been easier to travel with him when he was tiny and immobile. Oh, well. Flying with two actually isn't too bad. As long as you have two adults, a lot of snacks, an ipad and a pacifier. Flying with two kids and only one adult is a completely different story, however. Logistically speaking I actually think it's impossible. But for all you cynics out there, thank God for so many nice people who were friendly and offered to help pretty much every step of the way. There are still good people in the world.




So, I guess it was almost two weeks ago already (wow, I'm even more behind than I thought) that we faced our fears and headed out to Virginia for Auntie Care-Care's bridal shower. Now, we actually got the maid-of-honor and other bridesmaids to schedule around Matt's work schedule so he could come out with us, to help with the kids on the plane, while we were there and just to visit one last time in Virginia. Turns out he actually would have had to leave earlier than us for work anyway, but besides that our soon-to-be brother-in-law's bachelor party ended up being scheduled for that weekend as well in Atlantic City. So it worked out that Matt was actually able to fly out with us and then drive up to "the AC" (do people call it that or am I just channeling some Ryan and Marissa?) but he couldn't fly home with us.





 Bren loved running around the airport while we waited to board. And of course everywhere he went his big sister had to go, lest she miss out on something. Getting the car seat on the plane is always an adventure, but unfortunately even though Bren is still considered a lap baby I'm pretty sure he wouldn't sit still on someone's lap for even 5 minutes of the flight. So, we choose to lock him in for the flight. He actually fell asleep for part of the flight so things went pretty well. And Kaelyn was chomping at the bit as soon as we got on the plane to play iPad games. As soon as they announced it was ok to turn on electronic devices she gave Matt a look that said, "Dude, get the iPad out already. What's taking you so long?"




 I was just a little nervous about the flight back by myself. Ok, that's a lie. I was a lot nervous. Not about the actual flight more about getting all of our stuff through the airport, getting through security with two kids, carry-ons and a carseat and mostly actually getting on the plane with the kids and the car seat. I was also a little worried about the seating situation. It's a small plane with only two seats on each side of the aisle so Kaelyn would have to sit across the aisle next to someone we didn't know.

Well, somehow I managed to go into the airport with a good attitude and decided I was just going to try to stay relaxed and not let anything bother me. And everything went pretty smoothly. Security was a little crazy but everyone was pretty friendly and the kids were surprisingly calm and cooperative. And there was someone who offered to help get the carseat on and off the plane. And luckily Kaelyn's seat mate was a very nice aunt-like lady who was not only tolerant of sitting next to a three-year old but was helpful and friendly to her. The biggest problem of the trip was probably that Bren was overtired (he didn't take much of a nap) and he started to cranky and fussy but wouldn't fall asleep. Luckily I was able to keep him somewhat entertained between snacks, turning the reading light on and off and bouncing the armrest on his car seat. I was quite exhausted by the time we got back but we survived! Whew!

And of course we all had fun at the party and a great time visiting all weekend.  But that's another story and I think I'm about caught up as I'm going to get for tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment