Friday, July 27, 2012

Let the games begin

In honor of the Opening Ceremonies tonight I thought I'd whip up a quick Olympic post.

The last summer Olympics was quite eventful for us since our baby girl was born in the middle of them. I don't remember much about who won what in my baby daze. Though I'm sure Michael Phelps won a few golds. But I do remember being somewhat grateful for the Olympics that year. It gave us something entertaining to watch through my entire night of labor and subsequent nights of feeding. And Matt even willingly got up with me for night time feedings so he could see the end of the US basketball game. I'm sure he could tell you better if they won or not.






So this year we've been trying to explain what the Olympics are to Kaelyn. I don't think she quite gets it yet but she did have fun making this Olympic paper chain. I think her favorite part may have been scrolling through all the Olympic Ring images I pulled up on Google.



It was kind of a slow (we were working on patterns) and sticky (someone likes to go a little overboard with the glue stick) process. But she liked it so much she kept asking to do more chains. So we made a red, white and blue one for the American flag. And she would have done more after that if we hadn't had to clean up so I could get dinner started.

Hung very appropriately over Big Ben.

The other day when we were talking about the Olympics being in London she asked if we were going to go. Unfortunately not Kaelyn, but hopefully we can go to London some day. And she didn't believe us when we were watching the news and told her Brian Williams was in London. Have I mentioned yet that she's a bit obsessed with Brian Williams? Yes. Every evening she wants to know, "What's Brian Williams telling us?" She thinks he looks like Pop. And now they're on a first name basis. Last night she came up to me and said, "Brian told us half the country is in a drought."

That girl is something else.

Maybe she'll win a gold medal some day. For cuteness. Or the most questions asked in a day. One of the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment