Sunday, January 22, 2012

Why... ?

Oh, the wonderful age of "why?"  Lately, Kaelyn has been asking why questions an average of about 10 times a minute.  Which I love!  No, seriously.  I love that she is so curious about the world and is trying to figure out how things work and just learn about things.  Ok, it does drive me a little bonkers sometimes too.  Because it is incessant.  And I don't always know the answer, which I am more than happy to admit to her but then she asks why I don't know.  And sometimes I just don't know how to explain it to her in terms she can understand.  And sometimes her questions just plain don't make any sense.  I really do try to answer all her 'why' questions but sometimes I have to draw a line.  I've also started teaching her that we need to look things up sometimes to find the answers.  Here are a few examples of the questions she's been asking lately.

Why do our feet have toes?  We looked this one up and found this answer. I think I'll have to bookmark this website.
Why are our tongues red?  Looked this one up too, just to make sure I wasn't giving her bad info. I was a little bit wrong.
Why does our poop smell?  Yes, she really asked me this the other day.  Somehow I avoided giving her an answer.
Why do you not like spit all over the house? Because it's gross Kaelyn and it spreads germs.
Why did I fall and hit my neck like that? Because you weren't paying attention to what you were doing.

And most of the time my answer is followed up by another "why" question. And another. And another. For example:

K: Why am I wearing my purple leggings?
Me: Because you wanted to.
K: Why did I want to?
Me: I don't know. I guess cause you like them.
K: Why do I like them?
Me: I don't know. Because you think they're pretty.
K: Why do I think they're pretty?
Me: Maybe because you like the color purple.
K: But why do I like purple?
And on, and on, and on, and...

Ah, the mind of a three-year old.  She really does know how to wear me out sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment