Saturday, September 22, 2012

An apple a day

Lately Kaelyn has been asking a lot, "Is {insert whatever food she's eating} a healthy food for me?"  I'm glad she's so concerned with eating healthy. I like to think I talk to her about eating healthy. Maybe they've been talking about healthy food at school. Or, more likely, she's heard it from those little 5-minute mini cartoons they show between her "shows" on Disney Junior and PBS. Maybe I should be a little ashamed that my daughter has to learn about eating healthy from TV, but, well I just really don't have time to worry about that. And I'm just glad she's learning and asking questions about food.  But my favorite is when she asks something like, "Is ice cream (or chips or cookies) a healthy food for me? Is that why I like it so much?"


 So, on our recent trip to the apple orchard for our annual apple picking, I was very happy to answer "yes" and then watch her eat two whole apples straight from the tree.  And I was glad that Brennan at least tried to eat the apples.  He carried one around with several bite marks the whole time repeating "app-bowl, app-bowl." I'm not sure why but I guess he was having issues with the texture or something.  But he really wanted to eat one because he saw all the other kids eating them. At least he's trying. That's a step up from when he sits - I mean stands - in his chair at dinner and doesn't touch a single food on his plate.





The kids really do like a lot of healthy foods.  But they also like a lot of junk foods when they're allowed to have them.  Just like me. So I can't fault them too much.

With buddy Hudson, our apple picking partner

And for the record, we went through an entire bushel of apples in about a week and a half.  Some just for eating, 2 frozen apple pie fillings, 2 batches of apple sauce, apple chips (which I was surprised were not a big hit with the kids) and apple muffins.  Hopefully the orchard hasn't run out of apples yet, because I don't think we're quite done eating them yet for the season. Especially since I finally got Brennan to eat an entire slice of apple the other day! Baby steps people, baby steps.

A big thank you to my friend Heather for bringing along props and getting this great smile out of him. Being friends with a professional photographer definitely has it's perks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment